Thursday, May 03, 2007

I'm now at peace

About five years ago, I'd reached a point of my life where I felt like I was at peace. I'd moved to San Francisco, I found a new job, and I even started going back to school. So many of the problems that had been entrenched in my life were gone. My life was, what I called, "a great vector," meaning that I was both in a good place, and heading in a good direction.

Of course, that never lasts. :-)

About a year ago, things weren't as great. They weren't awful, just I wasn't in an ideal place, and not going anywhere real quick. That's never fun. I wasn't happy with my job. And something had to change.

I had tried a whole bunch of things, and none of it to much avail. I did try to change that, and eventually it did come of something. But it wasn't without problems.

It got to the point where something had to change, and finally I decided to put my money where my mouth was. I got a new job. The whole process was surprisingly stressful. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise, but not having done it in five years, I'd forgotten how stressful it was. First there was finding a job, and then there was landing the job. Then there was quitting my old job, and then there was starting a new job. Each has a stress all its own.

But I'm on the other side of that. Sometimes I still can't believe I've done it. I still have some mess to clean up from it all, mostly things that got left to the wayside while I was focusing on switching jobs, others brought on directly by me in a moment of the frustration of it (i.e., my apartment; that's a whole 'nuther story).

But still, I am on the other side. In a sense, I'm at the end of a that "vector", as in I was in a bad place, but was headed in the right direction. And so here I am. And now I can finally take a bit of time to reflect on what's happened. I have started my new job, and it's going just fine. The people are pretty nice, the job is actually a bit easier (or at least more straightforward, while at the same time pays better, go figure), even a bit interesting. And I'm doing what I wanted to be doing, and all of that baggage is now left behind. In short, I'm now at peace.

Of course, let's see how long this one lasts. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home