Thursday, January 25, 2007

Un momento, por favor

I had a cute story from this week. On Tuesday on my first day back after being sick (I had a cold all weekend, nothing huge), I ran and grabbed a quick burrito lunch. As I'm walking there, I'm checking several voicemail messages and the like. I get there, and it's always the same thing every time. It's usually the white manager guy who takes the order. I always order from him in English. I get the chicken super burrito, pinto beans and mild salsa. Then the drink guy ask me what I want to drink, and his English is very poor (his first days he was calling out order #125 as "Twelve, five?", although he's fine now), so I always ask him in Spanish. Una aqua fresca grande de sandia. (It's "aqua fresca", literally fresh water, but it's like a refreshing fruit drink.) Suficientemente simple, ¿no? And then the latina girl rings it up.

Well, on this particular day, the people were at different stations. Some other girl was taking the order, and the white manager guy was at the cash register and there was no drink guy. So I put in my order, and move down to the gringo to cash out, and he's like "Do you want something to drink?" I'm like "Yeah, uh, aqua fresca.... uh, large... uh..." and I'm thinking, sandia... sandia... sandia... finally I say "Watermelon!" It took me like a good few seconds to think how to order it in English! My spanish isn´t even that great! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home