Thursday, September 07, 2006

Zieg Herr deine Füße, Zieg Herr deinen Schuh, und sehe die fließige Waschfrauen zu

Sing the next line of that song and you'll know what I did today. :-)

My German teacher used to teach us songs to help us learn words and phrases of German. The songs are originally like for school children to do the same. But she liked to dance, and this one we would do such a dance. It translates to:

"Show the man your feet, show the man your shoe, and watch upon the industrious washwomen."

And thus we would do just that, a little dance where you show your feet. And the next line?

"Sie waschen, sie waschen, wie waschen den ganzen Tag,
"Sie waschen, sie waschen, wie waschen den ganzen Tag."

And thus would be the little dance we would do. We would make the hand motions like we were washing, and the make a big symbol with our hands, like it was "den ganzen Tag", the whole day, which in the old times, the wash day was the whole day.

And thus it was also mine. I found a Waschsalon down the street from my hotel. I had much to wash (including the new shirts I bought). And I washed, I thought of other verses, like "Sie hangen" (yes, they hang them) and "Sie bügeln" (they iron, although I didn't iron, one of the buttons on the Waschmaschine was "Bügelfrei" or iron-free... we would call it Permanent Press).

And it made the Waschtag go just that much more faster. That and finish up my blog. :-)

Blogdatum: Donnerstag, 07.09.2006

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The original text is "Zeigt her eure Fuesse, zeigt her eure Schuh", which only means "show your feet, show your shoes".
Many Germans also have problems with the words in old children songs, because often there are stuffed with old-fashioned words nobody says nowadays.

10:55 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home