Monday, September 04, 2006

Ich habe das Wochenende übergelebt

I made it. One crazy weekend in Berlin. On my last trip, my crazy weekend was the last one of the trip in Madrid. This time the crazy weekend was right up front. Having jetlag, staying out until 7 AM was like staying out until 10 PM in San Francisco. And so I did. I went out to all sorts of bars and clubs, drank so freakin' much beer (mmmmm, beer), and met up with friends, both visiting like me from SF and locals here. And on Saturday night I went to this dance party at the coolest venue. It used to be a factory down by the river. We get off at the U-Bahn station, and the address is on the same street, so we just follow it a few blocks to the address number. We get to the address, and it's these big apartment buildings. I'm thinking, this doesn't look like a disco. Then I realize people are going to the side of the building. It looks like this park, and so we start following them. There's only this dark path lit up by candles to show you the way. We follow it a couple hundred meters along the river, and it comes out to this entrance. We walk up the stairs and give them our tickets. From there, it's the collapsed ruins of this factory, and so it's nothing left of this part of the factory, but the foundation and what's left of the brick walls. It's been raining, so it's full of water, so we walk on these pallets to get to the back. There is an open air bar, and on each side is standing building, each with a disco and a different DJ. It's by far the coolest dance party I've ever been to.

And so yesterday (Sunday) was pretty much just recovery. I got my laptop on the Internet, and made some phone calls, made sure everyone knew I was alright, checked my emails. Then I went out and grabbed something to eat and had a couple beers. But I didn't stay out nearly so late. And also I wanted to get up the next morning and do some "Sehenswertigkeiten" (My German teacher made me remember that word: Sightseeing) and that world famous shopping Berlin is known for.

It was funny though. I often on my trips find myself in unbelievable situations. Not remarkable, just unbelieveable. I figured I'd check out the Wurst Germany is so known for, and I must say I had the best Wurst I'd ever had (play on words fully intentional). Like I said, not remarkable, but I was standing at the gay "Imbiss" (like a snack bar) right in front of KaDeWe on this beautiful plaza. It's right by the gay neighborhood, and so tons of gay boys coming by to grab something to eat (it being a Sunday, many of the restaurants were also closed) in various garb, ready for the night. And me with my Currywurst. Damn it was good. It was beautiful. It's good to be back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home