Saturday, September 16, 2006

Steig jedes Burg!

Okay, I went to Salzburg for the day. Salzburg is incredibly beautiful. It's nestled right at the base of Alps. It's no wonder the Sound of Music was filmed there. Although I must say it took me quite awhile to get any song from the movie out of my head.

Salzburg however was entirely run over by Americans. There were scores of tour buses that dropped Americans off by the hundred, showed them around, and then brought them right back to their hotel. I helped a family from Arkansas find their way, and since we were going the same way, we chatted a bit. And in this booming southern voice, the woman asks me, "Oh, have you been to Hilter's house? It's not far from here, and it's so beautiful, it's where Hitler used to spend his summers," to which I quickly said, "JESUS LADY! Stop dropping the H-Bomb!" It's not a name you mention around here. Alan and I have taken to referring to him as "That Guy". Even generations removed from WWII, there's a special amount of guilt around here because this was where he first rose to power. Just be a little more careful about it next time, hon.

So I ended up just going there, picking up a map when I got there and walking around. After spending 10 years afternoons of my youth of piano lessons, I had to go to see Mozart's birth place. And I'm no musical queen, but if I went to Salzburg without seeing a couple locations where the Sound of Music was filmed, I'm sure I'd be bitch slapped when I got home. I ended up walking about 40 minutes to this beautiful house right on a lake. It turned out it wasn't open to the public, but you could see it across the small lake very easily. There was a restaurant there when I ended up having a beer with the locals and just enjoying the day. Wünderschön. I walked back through some local small streets off the beaten path and enjoyed the local color. Beautiful. Words can't describe, but I'm sure the pictures I'm uploading can do a pretty good job. :-)

On the way back I chatted with a lovely pair of Grandmothers from Nebraska. They were staying in Munich, but went to Vienna for two days and were on the way back. We chatted most the entire way back. They were on a whirlwind tour of Europe, having been to the South of France, Italy and now Austria and Munich. I told the story how I shared our office at work with two other girls, and they two of them had the vacation the three of us had all had separately! They were an absolute delight to talk to. The one actually was a German American, and kept in touch with her distance Bavarian cousins. We exchanged stories of our different experiences with Europeans, good and bad, of course mostly good. It was great fun.

Blogdatum: Freitag, 15.09.2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home