Saturday, March 26, 2005

Let this week forever being known as the "Let's All Just Ignore the Sanctity of Marriage Week"

Someone asked me why I haven't said anything about Terri Shiavo in my blog up until now. I said, easy answer: It's none of my damned business. I can't possibly imagine what the Shiavo family is going through. How can I put myself in their shoes and decide Terri's fate? The answer is I can't. It's not up to me. Regardless of how I feel about their decision, it's still their decision to make. That's between Terri, her family and God.

But how do I feel? Put it this way. If the situation were reversed, and Terri's husband wanted to keep Terri alive, and Terri's parents wanted to remove the feeding tube, I would respect the wishes of the husband and keep Terri alive.

And in this situation, my feelings are exactly the same. I would respect the wishes of the husband.

That's because my next point has been so beaten into my head by constitutional amendments in 18 states, laws in Congress and attempts to amend the federal constitution, so excuse me if I'm a little bruised and bloody: The sanctity of marriage is our most beloved institution for thousands of years that's been handed down by God, and we must do everything we can to protect it.

Apparently unless it's politically apropos to ignore it.

I think Tom Delay, Republican Majority Leader, ought to be so ashamed that some faggot from Sodom by the Sea San Francisco has more respect for the institution of marriage than he does.

And that's why the courts ruled in Michael Shiavo's favor time and time and time and time again. It's not that they love to see Terri die. It's that in case after case after case after case, whenever the courts have had to decide between the direction of her family and her husband, the court will go with the husband's direction. I know the case isn't that simple, and there can be circumstances where the court would not follow the husband's direction, but the courts do take into account that he is the woman's husband.

That's more than I can say for the Republicans.

Which is why it's so disgusting that the very people who beat it into our head about the sanctity of marriage, find it so easy to throw it out the window as soon as it becomes inconvenient.

It really begs the question, are they just doing this to placate their constituents? Do they really believe this, or are they just mindless automatons, bending to their every demand?

George W. Bush said we must err on the side of life. Of course, oh yeah, but ignore the 152 people he had executed under his watch as Governor of Texas. And ignore the young Texas boy who was just allowed to die until circumstances similar to Terri's, under a bill Bush signed into law during his term as Governor. Oh yeah, because he couldn't afford to pay for his care.

I won't even get into the fact that Republicanism was founded on the ideas of states rights (which the federal Republicans subjugated), a person's right to choose their own destiny (which they attempted to override), and against big government oversight (which was exactly what they were doing).

I understand Terri's case is difficult, complicated and tragic. But right now I'm so overwhelmed by the blatant hypocrisy of our government, it's hard for me to think about much else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home