Friday, February 08, 2008

A commuting horror story of a different color

Okay, I got berated for including too many non-personal stories in my blog. Hey, sometimes even my life isn't all that interesting! Well, this story does keep coming up, so I thought I'd include it.

I met some friends out the other night, and we were discussing commuting horror stories. You know, stuck on Muni for hours stories, two hours to go seven miles stories, my-god-why-can't-they-just-drag-the-body-off-the-tracks-and-just-go stories. Mine took the cake.

Not so much a commuting from home story, but commuting from a friend's place. Last May I went to London for the first time, and I was staying with a friend out in suburban London. Right convenient, actually, just two stops on a suburban rail line from Victoria Station, about 25 minutes. (Not Soho, I know, but anyplace free to stay in London is a good deal!)

So one night we went out. We were out late, and my friends had to go home early. I said I'd catch another train. So I get to Victoria Station about 3 AM. I'm buzzed, I've had a few (or more than a few, as the recipients of my drunken texts would tell me). I get on the train and start listening to my iPod. Clapham Junction comes up. I know the next stop is mine.

So the next stop approaches, I get off there. The train starts to pull away. I look around. This isn't my stop.

Holy crap, I got off at the wrong stop.

It's 3:30 AM, it's raining, there's not a soul around, and I'm somewhere unknown in the middle of suburban London.

I run over to one of those big red "Infospot" buttons.

"Hello, London Transport Help Desk"

"Uh, yeah, I seem to have been let out at the wrong station."

"Which station are you at?"

I told her. I honestly don't remember which one it was now.

"Which station are you trying to get to?"

"East Croydon."

"Oh, I'm sorry. The train must have made a crew stop."

"Well, when's the next train to East Croydon."

I hear clicking of keys on the other end.

"7:30 AM."

My heart sinks. Four hours. It's raining. It's cold. My buzz is quickly dying.

"Well, I'm not going to wait here for four hours for a train," I said.

"Well, you might want to see if there's a cab outside or something."

Of course there's not.

"Well, exactly how far away am I?"

"Oh, I don't know. It's at least a few miles. I wouldn't walk it if I were you."

At this point I'm thinking, my people stormed the beaches of Normandy for your people and marched all the way to Berlin, the least I could do is walk a few miles to get a good night's sleep.

I did not say that of course.

So I thanked her for her help and started walking.

As it turns out, I was about four miles away. I've run less than that on an off day on the treadmill. I could see the office towers of downtown Croydon in the distance. I proceeded to walk, and in about 45 minutes, I was home safe and sound and warm and dry in my bed. I got a few hours of sleep, put on my tux and made it to my friends' wedding on time.

Now my hangover was a completely different story. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home