Saturday, November 19, 2005

Aufgabe zwei: Ich bin angekommen

Yup, I'm here.

*sips an Erdinger Weissbier*

Can you see the smile?

Live from downtown Unterhub... well, that's the running joke. I met up with my friend Alan at den Flughafen. We stopped in for a bite to eat before grabbing a taxi. We sat and chat for a bit, exchanging stories. I'm staying with my friend in Unterhub for the first couples days. It's this entirely gorgeous house in rural Bavaria outside of Munich. I've taken a couple pictures and I'll post them to the pics.

So the taxi ride. Kay had given us directions, but the Turkish driver couldn't read German. But he had a navigation (love German engineering), so he typed it in. "Welche Strasse?" he asks. "Es gibt nur eine Strasse," I respond. (Which street? There's only one street.) Seriously. Their family own a farm outside of Munich.

*shoots a shot of schnapps* Verdammt iss das gut.

Where was I? Oh yeah, taxi. So he inputs the directions. He says "Wollen Sie die Autobahn nehmen?" Without thinking, I'm like "Oh yeah, die Autobahn!" Well it was like 30 Euros more... but worth it. "Ja, das ist schneller." It wasn't that much "schneller", but a definite E-ticket. My first time on the Autobahn, and going 200 kilometers an hour (120 mph), yeah we got there sehr schenll. :-) And we got to see the new Allianz Stadium. It's built brand new for the World Cup next year, and it'll be the main stadium. It changes colors depending on who's playing. It's really cool. Especially at 200 km/h :-)

Bavaria's beautiful. Well, it was dark, and there was snow on the ground, but we rolled through the Bavarian countryside. Going 100+ km/h through countryside, reminded me of Minnesota, really. :-)

So we get to Tom and Kay's. They had an "Anstellung" in Regensburg, so they left us the keys, along with the Schnapps, Weißbier und die Schnittplatte (meat, lots and lots of meat). They had a note on the door: "(heart)-lich Willkommen Alan u. Joe" They're so sweet.

So yeah. Alan and I are just decompressing waiting for the boys. They'll be back in the morning. Und dann, wir tanzen. Warte, falsche Aufgabe. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home