Thursday, November 17, 2005

Aufgabe null: Ich bin bereit

That's "Episode Zero: I'm ready"

Today at work, one of coworkers said to me, "Wow, you got short-timer's disease! Was it that obvious? I've been preparing for this trip for a year, pratically since I got home last year. As soon as I finalized the itinerary, I found the perfect flight, found it for the right price, I booked it. Since then it was a mad flurry, googling info, searching hotels, planning intracity methods of transport, and printing maps, where the sights were, post offices, phone cards, public transit, all of it. In fact, last week when I came down with bronchitis, I really didn't have that much to do. Just laundry, store the bike, pack and head to the airport. I even took both a German and Spanish class. Ja wohl bin ich bereit!

So even before I got on the plane, I got a taste of what's to come. My friend Uwe from Frankfurt is here this week. I was to visit him in Frankfurt, but business took him here instead. (He joins us in Cologne on Thursday.) So I met up with him last night. I wasn't able to practice my German much, as I was with my friend Mark (Er sprecht kein Deutsch),, but nonetheless, it was a sample.

Then tonight standing in line at the airport, I'm taking Lufthansa to Munich. In line, I was surrounded by a large group of German tourists. (The Americans were towards the back. Those Germans are so prompt!) Surrounded by the German word, I had a chance to test my German out. Ich hatte sehr gut gemacht. :)

This is going to be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home