Thursday, August 18, 2005

Oui! Oui!

Stuff like this only happens in San Francisco.

Last Sunday, I made it to see the A's play the Twins over in Oakland. Once a year, I try to make it to see the Twins when they play in Oakland. I was conflicted though. Who do I root for, the Twins or Oakland? And if I root for Twins, should I watch out for knives? After all, this is Oakland. I'm kidding! Either way, it's a good game for me, although it was incredibly short, almost exactly two hours. But a few beers and an escape from the fog makes it worth it.

Anyways, so one of the more interesting parts was that there were two French guys sitting directly behind us. As in like from France, French. They apparently had never been to a baseball game, because the one kept having to explain the rules to each other. In French of course. (The friend I went with is French Canadian.) Part of me thought it was cute that two French guys would take time and money out of their vacation to see what this whole American game was all about. Not exactly foie gras.*

So it was tied up 1-1 until the 9th inning. The Twins got another one in on the 9th, and so when Oakland came up to bat, the entire stadium was on the edge of their seat to see if Oakland could take it back. The hitter knocks the ball deep into center field. The entire crowd steps up to their feet, and one of the guys behind me started cheering the entire time the ball was in the air: "Oui! Oui! Oui! Oui! Oui! Oui!" The Twins outfielder runs, catches the ball, and that was the end of the game. I wasn't upset, as the Twins won, and I got a good laugh at two French guys yelling "Yes" in their native tongue. At a baseball game. In Oakland.

I love this city. :-)

----------------

* Literally, "fat liver", defined as the fatted liver of an animal and especially of a goose usually served as a pâté. It's incredibly cruel to the animal, as their liver gets so fat it nearly bursts their abdomens. It was nearly banned in San Francisco, but after pressure and after the public realized its cruelty, it was pulled from most SF restaurants. However, it's still commonly served in France.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home