Sunday, January 16, 2005

More Tales of the City

From a couple weeks ago, well worth sharing

Okay, I'm pretty sure this didn't happen to you on your evening commute home tonight.

So I'm going home from work, and I come out of the subway to where I transfer to my bus to go up to Twin Peaks. I have my MP3 player blasting Celia Cruz to avoid any possible interaction with my fellow man and practicing my German flash cards on my PDA. Appropriately as "einigartig" pops up (it means "strange"), a woman comes running up to me. "Excuse me" she says as I dim Seniorita Cruz down to a low murmur. "Is this where you catch the 37 up to Parkridge and Burnett?" "Yes" I say. "Oh good. I'm a bit lost, so I'm gonna turn around and I'll be right back." As I'm wondering what in the hell she's talking about, I watch her run across Market Street to -a running Muni Bus, get in and start driving it-! I couldn't believe my eyes. Did they not even give this woman a route map? Is she just aimlessly driving an unsupervised city bus around San Francisco wondering where to go? Sure enough, a few minutes later she pulls up with the 37 and picks us all up. (You may wonder why I didn't wait for the next bus and braved it instead? It was half an hour until the next one!) I watched her as she had to have fellow passengers tell her where to go, as she barreled past requested stops and stopped in other places in undesignated areas. Finally she made it to my stop, and I ran out the door and up the stairs to tell the story while it was still fresh in my head.

This City never ceases to entertain me. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home